A Daily Prompt asked who you found precious. In my usual contrarian but #EmotionalIntelligence thinking about what matters I said “Bah, Humbug. ” This cartoon says it all.
Remember when advertisers didn’t emulate the Disney Channel? Not that our children are not worthy of un-conditional love; but that means love in spite of flaws and we all have flaws.
parent advice AND TIps regarding precious
Love your children enough to prepare them for life in the real lane. Even toddlers need love that limits, teaches, and acknowledges flaws.
Moreover, there comes a time, when children will see undeserved praise as lying and or “That’s because you are my parent.” What to do? Try my CARE response to criticize while keeping love strong.
- C = Confront unacceptable behavior and this must be done in a way the child stops to think. Yes, that might mean yelling
- A= Ally with the child: as soon as you have the child’s attention. Shift angry or harsh face to Soft Face. See today’s EFTI poster.
- R = Review: make certain the child knows what was unacceptable. Explain to the very small in five or six one syllable words: ask children over five to tell you what they did that needed correcting.
- End on a positive note. “I know you can and will d
For more ways to keep children on the track to true self acceptance peruse my book Parents Are People Too.
Remember that liking, commenting, or sharing is an act of social media kindness. Practicing kindness strengthens you and moves the world toward peace.
As always, thank you for your support, it means a great deal to me.
TODAY’S EFTI POSTER COACH
Links of interest
- Emotional Intelligence (en.wikipedia.org)
- Easy Emotional Fitness Exercises emotionalfitnesstraining.com)
- The EFTI Store (eftistore.com)
DISCLAIMER: FORGIVE MY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS FOR I HAVE DYSGRAPHIA. If you need perfect posts, you will not find them here. I have dysgraphia which means that sometimes my sentence structure is not that easy to follow or I make other errors. Still, most people understand me. All of my books are professionally edited, but not all of my blog posts are. Thanks for your understanding and reading my work.